What is the difference between OB-GYN and REI?

🔶Who is OB-GYN?

OB-GYN refers to the two fields of obstetrics and gynecology, so most people use the abbreviation OB-GYN to refer to their obstetrician and gynecologist. Gynecologists specialize in women’s health and generally treats medical and surgical conditions associated with female anatomy. Obstetricians care for you during pre-conception, pregnancy, childbirth, and immediately after delivery. An OB-GYN does all these things. This doctor prescribes birth control and sees you through childbirth and menopause. This person also screens for cancer, treats infections, and does some surgeries.

🔶Who is REI?

REI stands for reproductive endocrinology and infertility. Doctors who work in REI train in the medical and surgical treatment of issues dealing with a woman’s reproductive tract and conditions causing infertility. REI specialists are skilled in helping women who are struggling to get pregnant. REI specialists work with genetic counselors and dietitians to help couples achieve their dream of having a child.

REI doctors work with those coping with things such as:


-Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)

-Male factor infertility

-Tubal factor infertility

Your OB-GYN might send you to an REI specialist if you’ve been trying to conceive for 6 to 12 months without success or if you have a history of miscarriages.

Some women are treated by both types of physicians: OB-GYN, and an REI doctor. 

So, the difference between REIs and OB-GYNs is that REIs focus on both men and women who are more experienced in solving infertility issues, and create more individualized plans. Also usually REIs are more specialized to help you if you have a more complicated reproductive history or have not been successful with your OB/GYN